Wednesday, September 29, 2010

potting up a storm

It seems as the warmer weather is upon us, the yearning for heading out into the sunlight becomes somewhat addictive for me... you see i am part Lizard... so i have been told by my mother when i was younger... so i tend to be drawn to the heat. If it gets below 22 degrees C, I'm rugged up in a jumper, socks and long pants... in Queensland there is a misconception that it is always warm here all year around... i fell into this misconception when i moved here 7 years ago...as i moved here in summer. Come winter and the ground sparkled with frost in the mornings, ice crystals splattered the windows and the thermometer read -4 degrees C in the kitchen one morning in June... -4 !!!! well for quite a few mornings actually. but then the smell of spring hits the air, the insects start to come out and play and BITE and Aeroguard graces our legs after 4pm every afternoon.

Which leads me to Potting up a storm...

We are moving in 3 wks to a lovely residential clone hole, otherwise known as a new estate. As much as i love my space, i dislike the cow who has decimated my efforts to grow vegetables in the ground over the past 12 months, and now she has a calf who kicks air like an overdosing heavy metal guitarist on stage and also finds my garden a delight to taste on a regular basis. no amount of electric fencing can stop these two... they are geniuses, with horns! so there fore i have decided to pot up my vegies in order to salvage the last of the survivors and take them to a safer place, where they can grow wild and free.

As the cows are in the back paddock, this gave me ample opportunity to transfer the newly sprouted celery, leek, tomatoes, spring onions, beetroots, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, spinach and broccoli seedlings into pots. i am on budget, so found 99c buckets from the IGA to be perfect POTs (with a few holes drilled for drainage along with cheap potting mix. - no weeds in potting mix)

I carried on transplanting each delicate seedling, care taken so as not to rip the roots, and as the heat swirled around, the air became humid and the sky began to rumble. then as i placed the last pot on the veranda and cleaned up my hand shovel, the heavens opened with lightning flashing above the clouds, and sunlight still shining from the sky. it was a magnificent sight to see sunlight streaming down from the sky while lightning flashed in the dark blue clouds and rain steadily and heavily poured down on my freshly planted seedlings ... and me.

Closer to nature is Closer to God, ...so i have heard.

1 comment: